If you're interested in a copy of a paper, or if you have any questions or comments,
please be in touch.
- Mathematical Impossibilities, in preparation, a general-interest book presenting the ideas and
people associated with certain fundamental mathematical questions.
- A Transition to Advanced Mathematics: A Survey Course with William W. Johnston
A textbook for a transition course surveying mathematics.
published by Oxford University Press, August 2009, ISBN: 978-0-19-531076-4.
- Schaum's Easy Outlines: Logic, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2005. ISBN: 0-07-145535-3.
An abridgement based on Schaum's Outline of Theory and Problems of Logic, Second Edition
by John Nolt, Dennis Rohatyn, and Achille Varzi, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1998.
Abridgment Editor: Alex M. McAllister, 135 pages.
- A Survey Transition Course, William W. Johnston and Alex M. McAllister,
expository publication, in PRIMUS: Problems, Resources, and Issues in Mathematics
Undergraduate Studies, Volume 22, Issue 1, 30-42, February 2012.
available online at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10511970.2010.489200.
- Turing upper bounds for countable jump ideals,
research publication, in Nonstandard Models of Arithmetic and Set Theory,
Contemporary Mathematics,ISSN: 0271-4132, Volume 361, October 2004, 129 - 143.
- The Kentucky Section goes high-tech: The tale of an e-newsletter,
expository publication in Focus of the MAA, Volume 23, Number 2, February 2003, 8 - 9.
- Bounded Scott Set Saturation,
research publication in Mathematical Logic Quarterly, Volume 48, Number 2, 2002, 245 - 259.
- An Experiment that Worked: Revising the Calculus Curriculum, with William W. Johnston and
John H. Wilson, expository publication in Focus of the MAA, Volume 21, Number 8,
November 2001, 8 - 9.
- Computability in structures representing a Scott set,
research publication in Archive for Mathematical Logic, Volume 40, 2001, 147 - 165.
- Completions of PA: models and enumerations of representable sets,
research publication in Journal of Symbolic Logic, Volume 63, Number 3, September 1998,
1063 - 1082.
- Evaluation of high-level bound-bound and bound-continuum
strengths by asymptotic expansion,
(K. Omidvar and A.M. McAllister),
Physical Review A, Volume 51, Number 2, Febuary 1995, 1063 - 1066.
Poetry published at Centre College
- Reading Your Mathematics Textbook, (expository), September 1999, revised 2008, 1 page.
- An Introduction to LaTeX and VTeX, (expository), August 2003, revised 2004, 12 pages.
- Introduction to Maple, (expository), August 2002, 4 pages.
- A Dreamweaver Primer, (expository), May 2002, 28 pages.
- My Understanding of the ACS Information Fluency Project, (expository), Feb. 2002, 3 pages.
- The Turing partial order of w-models defined via completions of arithmetic, (research),
Summer 2001, 15 pages.
- Scott Set Saturation and Relative Computability of Models and Enumerations, (research),
Summer 1998, 35 pages.
- Elementarily Equivalent Structures of all Noncomputable Degrees, (research), Fall 1996,
- Enumerations of all Noncomputable Degrees, (research), Fall 1996, 3 pages.
- Enumerations of Jump Ideals and Scott Sets, (research), Summer 1995, 7 pages.
- #74 Danny, Vantage Point, Volume 36, Number 2, January 2003.
- #87 Questions, Vantage Point, Volume 36, Number 2, January 2003.