CHE 17 Name
May 9, 1997
1. Which of the following will not improve the octane rating of a gasoline?
(a) increasing the percentage of branched-chain hydrocarbons
(b) increasing the percentage of aromatic hydrocarbons
(c) increasing the percentage of straight-chain hydrocarbons
(d) adding octane enhancers
2. Draw an isomer of the compound shown below.
3. Which fossil fuel has a molecular structure containing many rings of carbon atoms?
(c) natural gas
(d) none of these
4. How and why is coal gasified?
5. With respect to nuclear energy,
(a) there are limitless reserves of the fossil fuel uranium.
(b) uranium sources are being used up, quickly causing a decline in construction of nuclear power plants.
(c) uranium deposits are adequate, but the growth of nuclear energy production has been slower than projected.
(d) uranium is a renewable resource, but citizens have picketed construction of nuclear power plants.