University of Dallas
Class of 1985
Class News

Posted after September 11, 2001

From John Richards: Further update on Tim Devlin -- he was safely at work in Westchester County during the terror attacks. He knows some people who are listed as missing, but his close friends who work in the WTC were either out of the office that day or got out of the buildings.
           He welcomed people to call him at work, after 11:00 AM, at (914) 253-0900 ext. 236.

From Pam Cefaratti: Thanks for the forwards and keeping us all in touch thru this craziness. I have an update for the web site. I married Orestes Gutierrez on Aug 31! My name is not changing. He's a fellow med student. We're blissful.!

John Richards got a message on Sunday the 16th from Tim Devlin. John reports: I haven't been able to talk to him yet, but Tim is okay.

From Gina (Bonanno) Morrison: Lots of family in New York actually. But everyone who was working in the city that day got home safely. Thanks for asking - and I am grateful for the updates on the class page. Could we ever have imagined it would be used for such a thing?

From Tim Bush: Boy, if this all weren't so miserable, it would be fun to hear from so many people. I haven't written this many e-mails the rest of this year put together.
            I'm fine, or as fine as I can be when I'm frustrated at not being able to do anything. I just ran some supplies over to the relief staging area a few blocks from here: it is amazing to see so many people out and trying to help, but I think all of us would rather be downtown digging through rubble to reach survivors. In the absence of that, I can at least take advantage of my proximity to the relief effort to buy and deliver ice and first aid supplies when I hear on TV that they need them.
            I don't know how well you know the geography here: I'm about two miles north of where the World Trade Center was, on 19th St and Eighth Avenue. As of last night, they weren't allowing civilian traffic below 14th St, so I'm kind of on the front line of normalcy (the rest of the island is basically back to normal today, or to something like normal).
            Thanks to the strong west wind yesterday, the smoke and debris flew out east over Brooklyn, rather than north up the rest of Manhattan: the most bizarre thing here was the lack of outward sign that anything was wrong. Early in the day, we had thousands of people walking up the avenues getting away from offices downtown, but by afternoon, it was just people walking dogs and walking around in a sort of daze.
            One wierd thing that I haven't seen covered in the media much: we've only got one broadcast TV station in the city right now. People with cable still have full service, but I suspect that the stations all had their broadcast antennas up on the city's highest building, and when it went down, so did they. I've had only CBS since yesterday morning.

From George Behringer: I don't know (about health of family and friends) yet as all phone lines to NY are still out of service. I have one brother-in-law who works in Manhattan, and the girl I took to our senior prom works in the Trade Center. I haven't heard from my parents so I'm assuming Dave (my brother-in-law) is OK. Do you know if anybody has heard from Tim Devlin? The last time I saw him he was working down on Wall street. If anyone has heard about Tim let's find out. Thanks for your prayers and support.

From Shellie (Goad) Berry: Dan called again last night. He said it was the weirdest day of his life. When Dan and Don left the hotel at the Newark airport, they had a close, unobstructed view of south Manhattan and the twin towers on fire. They headed north and took the Tappan Zee bridge into New York in order to get to New Rochelle (about 5 mi north of Manhattan) where they had a day of golf waiting at the Pelham course.
            The whole time they were on the course, fighter planes were in formation above their heads. I think they were ready to escort any commercial or rogue planes away from the city. As you probably know by now, the WTC housed a number of financial institutions like Dean Witter, Salomon and the like. Dan's company does business with a lot of these people. One of them came to the golf outing yesterday--the only one from his office--and may well be the only survivor from his company. Also, Don has a good friend, Tanya, who worked in the WTC and is notoriously late. She probably arrived in the area around 9am, saw what was happening, and turned right around to go home. At one point during the day, one of the guys got a cell phone call and hollered out, "DON! TANYA'S ALL RIGHT". But it was like that all day: playing golf and making and getting calls to find out if people were alive.
           At this point, Dan is still hoping to make his flight to Minneapolis on Friday. He will be in the New Jersey office working today and tomorrow. He had planned to be in the office most of Friday, but figures he'll have to be at the airport early in the morning to assure getting on his evening flight out.
           I don't think there is any more danger from this terrorist group in the near future. My only concern is possible copycat perpetrators turning up after things are running again in 10 days or so. I doubt they'd be able to get past the heightened security that will inevitably be in place by then, though. On the other hand, I feel that both my parents and Josh and I could postpone our trips this month. Even once things are running again, I expect added hassles at the airport which I'm not eager to put either Josh or myself through. My dad doesn't like airports or flying anyway, so he needs little encouragement to postpone.
           Dan can pick up email messages at either or

From Mary Ann Buddenberg Miller: After our move to northern NJ, we now live within a 30-minute bus ride into NYC, and so our life was affected by the shutting down of commuting systems, etc. (Although neither of us has to travel to NYC on a daily basis!) My college closed classes after 4:15 yesterday, and the solemnness of the usually crowded streets was quite eerie. We are all in shock that what has always seemed a remote threat has actually happened!
           Of course, almost everyone up here will know someone who has experienced a death. Too many people work in those buildings! From living in DC, I know people who work in the Pentagon as well!

From John Richards: I'm fine, although pretty freaked out. Everything here is going to be pretty strange for a while.
           There is a lot more obvious security around the Capitol complex today, and I think that's something we're all going to have to get used to.

From Ed Heflin: Great to hear from you. And to answer your question, we are all O.K. here. To follow-up, the response by New Yorkers to the terrorism has been nothing short of phenomenal! After following the story on television yesterday, Tanja and I made our way to the Red Cross at 66th Street in upper Manhattan. We wanted to donate blood and volunteer to help with any relief efforts.
It was so reassuring to see that the place was packed with people looking to donate blood and volunteer to help. In fact, it was so packed, we were instructed to come back tomorrow to donate blood. We filled out volunteer forms and are waiting to be called.
           We then made our way to lower Manhattan to within a few blocks of where the crisis all began. Video camera in hand, I watched with Tanja, in complete disbelief, the fire-belching, smoke-spewing rubble pile that was once the World Trade Centers.
           It is known for certain that 3 skyscrapers are absolutely destroyed, i.e. World Trade Centers 1, 2, & 7. Apparently, fires are still burning in the Financial Trade Center and the Millennium Building. And imagine the horror as professional fire fighters, police officers, and ems workers who initially arrived on the scene to help were unwittingly killed in the process of the buildings collapses.
           What is less certain is the human toll. Psychological trauma, personal injury, and loss of life. And even though it is not known exactly how many people lost their lives as a result of destruction, it's my opinion that the final number will range somewhere between 10,000 to 40,000.
           At this point, my simple question is this...once correctly determined, how do you respond to someone who has maliciously and seriously injured you?

Please submit your news items to Jennifer Muzyka at

Back to Class Reunion Page